Friday, September 7, 2012

Recipe Week in Review Pt. 2

Time for part 2 of my recipe week in review.  Today? Loaded Cauliflower, Eggplant Rollotini, and Avocado Caprese Salad!

Loaded Cauliflower


I am a carb-fanatic.  Potatoes, rice, pasta.... I love it all.  Unfortunately, carb overload is my diet downfall.  So when a recipe promises to satiate my carb cravings without packing on pounds, I am always willing to try it out.  This recipe delivered to the max! I'd say we have our second perfect TEN!

Loaded Cauliflower Original Recipe

Modifications:
     1. I used butter buds in lieu of butter to cut out some of the calories.
     2. I used plain greek yogurt instead of sour cream.  This was my first time trying the yogurt/sour cream swap.  As a sour cream junkie, I can promise you this is legit! I, nor my husband, could tell the difference at all!

Next time:
     I wouldn't change anything about this recipe.  It was life-changing!  Even my husbands friends from work have asked for the recipe.  I can't wait to make it again!

Eggplant Rollatini


After my pin-success with Eggplant Parmesan (see this post for the amazing recipe!), I was excited to try my hand at Eggplant Rollatini.  Eggplant is another big carb-substitute, since its texture is similar to that of pasta.  This recipe, however, was just lacking something.  I can't put my finger on what it might be... some additional spices? Maybe some garlic? Whatever its missing, I just plan to stick with my Eggplant Lasagna for those nights we're craving some Italian cuisine...


Modifications:
     1.  My lone modification for this recipe was serving some italian seasoned turkey meatballs.

Next Time:
     Sadly, I doubt there'll be a next time on this recipe.  Don't get me wrong it was pretty good and very filling.  However, both my husband and I prefer the Eggplant Parm recipe to this one.  Hands down.

Avocado Caprese Salad



Yay for another big hit in the Lopez household! And thank goodness for a new salad to add to the normal rotation! We absolutely loved this as a side, and I could probably eat it as a lunch all by itself.  The only downside?  This salad did NOT keep well, and just 2 days later the Romaine had wilted.  Why?  Because the salad is dressed when you make it.... so perhaps keeping some set aside to be dressed later could solve this problem.  Overall, a definite keeper.


Modifications:
     I made no modifications to this recipe.

Next Time:
     As I mentioned previously, I will save some of the salad to dress for later so it keeps better.  Other than that, no changes necessary! So refreshing and healthy... it was a huge hit.


2 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...