Wednesday, June 27, 2012

My First Pin Project: Container Garden!

I am about a week and a half behind on my summer of pinning.... but I just embarked on my first adventure (of which I hope to be the first of many!).  My inspiration? A container garden I saw pinned a few months back from this site.  More specifically, I was in love with the idea of using a large silver drink tub for a container garden, as seen below.
So I recruited my crafty friend, Eleni, and we headed out in Chesapeake in search of the materials.  My budget? $100

First stop was Garden Ridge... that place has EVERYTHING! Everything, of course, except a large silver drink tub.  Siri was no help either, as she kept finding me pictures of bath tubs for sale.  I tossed around the idea of using other colored tubs, which Garden Ridge had plenty of... but I had my heart set on the industrial look of the silver tubs.

Alas, Eleni noticed three nesting stools with an industrial finish.  I fell in love.  We decided that using smaller silver tubs and buckets on top of the wood and iron stools would give the same effect.  Total amount spent in Garden Ridge: $175. (Yes, thank you, I am aware that I exceeded my budget by $75 before even leaving the first store.... tis the story of my life.)

After a quick stop at Lowes for soil, herbs, flowers, and some gardening tools, we headed home to start planting!  It took just about 30 minutes of hard labor (most tiring was getting the stools and soil out of Eleni's truck!), and here's the finished product!




Flowers include celosia, butterfly bush, petras, bush on fire, and some assorted succulents.  I also planted thai basil, sweet basil, and rosemary.  I was hoping for chives and parsley as well, but they only had seeds.  I'll keep you posted if they start to spring up!  Total cost of project: $250.... and I love it!!!

3 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...