Wednesday, August 1, 2012

I get by with a little help from my friends...

Recently, three of my colleagues (and fabulous friends, of course!), offered to help me by trying out some pin projects of their own and guest blogging for my site.  As the school year quickly approaches, I thought I'd make them a little "thank you" gift to repay them for the time and effort they are putting in to my new found hobby!

What do teachers need more than Post-it Notes? (OK, excluding happy hour....) The answer is.... Nothing! I probably go through 10 packs of Post-its per year.  They, along with gallons of coffee, are all I use to keep everything straight.  So when I saw this pin, I knew I'd try it out before I went back to work.

Luckily, this pin project shaped up to be quite thrifty, as most of the supplies I already had on hand thanks to a former obsession with scrapbooking.  Here's what I used:

-2 pieces of complimentary scrapbook paper
-a sticky-back post-it pad
-1 clear 4x6 frame
-embellishments (for mine, I used some old scrapbook embellishments and stickers.  However, if you look at the original pin, it appears she used ribbon and punch cards... whatever you have on hand will work!)

So I scoured my scrapbook paper supply for some cute combinations.  Here's what I came up with:

I rummaged through my other supplies to find some complimentary embellishments.

Based on my hoard, I figured that my only purchases for this project would need to be the frames and the post-it notes.  So, I headed to Michaels, and, thanks to a coupon, found 4 frames and a post-it pad for under $5! (I bought an extra frame so I can make one for myself at a later date...)

Using my handy-dandy paper cutter, I cut the papers into 4x6 and 4x1.5 rectangles.

Using a small amount of Elmer's glue, I secured the papers together.

I slid the paper into the frame and added the embellishments, including some decorative border to hide the seem and a label with my friend's initials.

Finally, I peeled the sticky back off of the post-it pad, and placed it on the frame. VOILA!




Here they are! If you look closely, you can see the initials.... 
hmm.... I wonder who the lucky ladies are??  ;)

**Edit: I noticed that after a while, the Post-it pad would start to slide down the frame.  So, I secured it with glue to keep it in place.

Happy pinning!

4 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...