Sunday, August 19, 2012

Owl Cupcakes

With the start of another school year just around the corner, I've been anxiously pinning some great lessons and organization ideas for my classroom.  But, other than this marking my first "back to school" crunch time since my discovery of Pinterest, it also marks a very important event.

Our five year old will be starting Kindergarten this year (*tear), so this is my first year on the OTHER side of the spectrum... I've attended 9 years of "Meet the Teacher" Nights and orientations... but always as the teacher! However, on Monday, the script is flipped!

I'm already pondering what one wears to a kindergarten "Meet the Teacher."  I would, of course, always have worn a nice suit.... but is that excessive for a parent??? I'd hate to show up in jeans and feel underdressed... OK... so, I am an "overanalyzer..." I get that.

Perhaps to preoccupy my mind, I also thought it'd be fun to make something for Maddy's teacher.  Madison LOVES to cook with me, so when I saw these cupcakes, I thought they would be perfect!

Here's what we used:
-1 box of cake mix (we used chocolate)
-1 can of chocolate icing
-24 cupcake liners (silver, though any color would work.)
-1 box of Reese's Pieces (the recipe on Pinterest called for M'n'Ms, but we had the Reese's available...)
-1 box of Oreos
-Muffin pan


Begin by making the cupcakes according to the package directions.  *This is Madison's favorite part:

Then, ice the cupcakes with the chocolate icing.

Then, separate the Oreo cookies and place the icing sides up on each cupcake to make eyes.  If you can find a way to get the icing to split, you are a better person than I.... we ended up with a while box of un-iced halves of cookies when we were done... oh well!

We then added eyes and a beak using different colored small candies (I had leftover sixlets from my Olympic Rings Cake [see here]), and an orange Reese's for the beak..... 



I'd say it was a success :)

To be continued.... :)

6 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...