Saturday, July 28, 2012

Olympics Opening Ceremony Party!

One of my favorite boards to pin to is my Party Time board.  I have always loved hosting dinners and theme parties, and Pinterest has just given me so many amazing ideas.  Most recently, this pin, which was actually just to a picture of a cocktail (with no recipe... bummer), inspired me to have an Olympics themed party this year.

I, personally, always "watch" the Opening Ceremony.  By "watch," I mean put them on my tv and neglect to pay attention.  I thought that having our party on this night would be the perfect opportunity to "watch" the Ceremony with a few friends.... while drinking.... and wearing togas.

The evening was perfect, aside from a momentary lapse in cable coverage of the Ceremony (thanks, Dish.)  We had some of our own Olympic events, namely beer pong and flip cup, and the food and drinks were great.  Here are a few highlights.


So, in the name of sharing, here's how I made my Olympics food stuffs:

The Olympic Rings Martini:
I fashioned this drink off a martini called a white gummy bear, named, appropriately so, because it tastes like a white gummy bear.

1 part Peach Schnapps
1 part Raspberry vodka
2 parts Sour mix
2 parts Sprite

Then, I took the traditional 5 flavor Lifesavers and put a red, yellow, green, and purple lifesaver in each martini.

These were a huge hit, and I will likely make them again with gummy bears at the bottom, or any other sweet candy.... maybe a jolly rancher?

The Red, White, and Blue Martini:


I actually found this recipe on Pinterest, here.

I am not a huge Hypnotic fan, but lets be honest, there aren't that many blue liquors that layer well.

1/2 Hypnotic
1/2 Sprite
a splash of Grenadine

Here's the trick... you MUST mix the Hypnotic/Sprite and pour it into your martini glass before you add the splash of Grenadine.  Otherwise, the drink doesn't layer and it turns purple.

I didn't love this martini.... too sweet....but a few others at the party thought it was good... and they got gobbled up quick.  If nothing else, they were great for the tablescape!

Olympic Rings Cake:
OK, I cheated.  I bought a blank ice cream cake from Food Lion.... so great that they have plain white ones, as most places seem to only have partially decorated cakes available.  The cake, which fed us all, plus some... was only $25.

I saw tons and tons of pins for Olympic cupcakes as cakes, made with a variety of ingredients, and mostly icing rings.  I, however, found multicolored Sixlets at Party City, and thought they'd work well... I think they did!

In order to make perfect rings, I pressed an upside down drinking glass onto the cake and made 5 nice rings.  Then, I just set the Sixlets right on top of my "trace"-lines.  The divet also kept the Sixlets from rolling around.

I think the party was a huge success.... and just think, you have 2 weeks still to throw one of your own!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...