Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Movie Date Makeover

I am what some may call a shop-a-holic.... a fashion fanatic of sorts... and though I spend hours trolling the web doing "pre-shopping" research and outfit planning, I constantly find myself falling back on the same boring combinations of clothing, and then whining about my lack of options.  How can someone have SO. MUCH. CLOTHING. and constantly feel like I've got nothing to wear? Perhaps I am just not as creative as I'd hope.  Until, of course, I stumbled upon a new style icon: J.

I know, sounds like a Men in Black agent.  But J's Everyday Fashion, a blog I found on, you guessed it, Pinterest, may just have changed my outlook on closet options.  She finds inspiration on websites, catalogs, runways, etc., and "remakes" them from clothing in her seemingly infinite closet.  While obsessing over her site today, I read some great advice: Don't try to copy it exactly.  Rather, let the outfit (style, color, etc) inspire you.  So when my good friend Amanda asked me to join her on a movie date, I began searching my "My Style" Pinterest board for some pinspiration.  I decided upon this:
The link to this outfit was broken, so I had to settle for a cell phone pic, hence the poor quality.  However, you get the picture.  

Now, I am one of those cold blooded individuals who finds a 75 degree day "freezing."  Add to that a movie theater climate, which to me feels practically subarctic.  So I knew from square one I would wear my distressed American Eagle jeggings in place of cut off shorts.  I then examined he top half of this outfit: ivory lace, ivory blazer, waterfall necklace.  None of these I own.  But, I remembered J's advice: be inspired.  I figured the style could be summed up as follows: ultra femme tank, summery blazer, statement necklace.  So I headed to my "boring closet" to see what I could find.

I began by pulling some ideas that fit the bill, and came up with a few options:
I was already surprised by the combinations I created, as I never paired these tanks/blazers together before.  I loved the look of the mint and ivory, so I went with that.  I changed the accessories a bit and here is what I came up with:
Tank: Express
Blazer: Charlotte Russe
Necklace: Arden B. circa 2008
Jeans: American Eagle
Heels: Kenzie (Dillards) circa 2010
Bracelet: Etsy; see this post

What do you think???

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...