Saturday, July 7, 2012

Fabulous Felt Owls

I'm not sure why I have recently fallen in love with all things owl, but when I saw this pin, I knew I had to try this with Madison.  After doing some pre-planning, however, I realized there was a ton of cutting involved, and should most likely pre-cut the pieces to make it easier on her.  I'm glad I did, because it probably took me a solid two hours before I had cut all the pieces out.  Here are the materials I used:

For two owls:
-one sheet of brown felt (for the ears/beak)
-6 other colors, one sheet each.
-glue gun & glue sticks
-4, 25mm google eyes
-2 4 inch styrofoam balls

The template for owl two (printable here) and instructions did not actually tell me how many felt feathers to cut of each color, but I used about 20 feathers for the "belly" and about 35 feathers for the "back" of the owls.  After I cut everything up, I put them into ziploc bags and labeled them for easy preparation the next day.

So today, we began our adventure.  I "followed" the somewhat vague instructions on the DIY site, but found myself winging it at times.  Each owl only took about 30 minutes to make, and that was with a 5 year old helper, and 2 burnt fingers from the hot glue gun.  (I found this project to more of a pain in the butt than originally anticipated) Though Madison loved her owl, it really isn't a project meant for kids, and I probably wouldn't do it again with her.  However, if you are looking for some easy DIY decor for an owl themed room or party, they definitely turned out cute!


 Total cost for 2 owls: $12, 2 burnt fingers, and 3 hours of labor....

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...